Monday, April 26, 2010

Little Seeds

This week I read "Ten Seeds" by Ruth Brown in my toddler classes. I have only a few toddlers in one of my newer classes - and these toddlers are still getting used to the idea of story time. Since the craft this week was a birdfeeder, I discovered a "secret weapon" to get the toddlers to listen to this engaging story. I gave each toddler a seed to hold in their hand (birdseed from the birdfeeder craft). I told them that the seed was a part of the story, so as long as they sat and listened to the story, they could hold the seed in their hands. If they wanted to get up and wander around, that was fine, but they had to give the seed back. It took a few exchanges for them to get the idea, but in the end, I had captured the full attention of all five toddlers, they were completely engaged in the story, eager to find out what happened to each seed. I love it when a story comes together!

-Dawn Noelle

No comments: