Friday, February 8, 2013

New Year = New Approach

After a semester of low attendance in our Good Samaritan Babies class, we have upped our outreach efforts with a particular focus on some of the organizations nearby.  I visited the Bryant School food bank one Tuesday morning with some of our leftover inventory books to pass out to families, together with a flyer and a personal invitation to our Tuesday classes later in the morning.

Our communal "Reading Tree" in 2012
In the Tenderloin, with the varied ages and higher numbers in attendance, I have shifted the focus away from project making and instead now have a book table where kids can come and read, and put a leaf on their own tree, which I bring with me each week.  During circle time, I congratulate the children, with a round of applause from all the families, who have come to read on their own, with me, or with their adult.  This has really helped to get the kids reading and cut down on the chaos on the project offering when there are so many kids that want to participate.  It gives me more time to model reading, and to ask children to tell the story back to me when they are ready to read the same book a second time, partially motivated by the extra leaf they will get to put on their "Reading Tree" when they are done.

Individual "Reading Trees" for 2013





-Dawn Noelle

No comments: