Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Which language?

I was amazed to see one of our English speaking students completely engaged in singing this week. At The Tenderloin Children's Playground I adapt our original Spanish curriculum to a bilingual platform. At this center, in addition to the majority of Spanish speakers, we also serve Vietnamese, Chinese, Hindi, and English-only speaking families. My language skills only allow me to interact, sing, and tell stories in both English and Spanish, but little by little, all of the children are learning both the English and Spanish songs. The student I mentioned above is usually one to lose interest very quickly no matter what language is being used. It is great to see the developmental milestones in children after only five months of singing, working, and reading with them.

-Dawn Noelle

No comments: