Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It just keeps getting better!


I get a strange thrill out of helping the mothers in our classes get library cards for the first time. I'm not sure what it is, but walking with them through this process, knowing that I am helping them get a late start on a lifetime of reading, is a very rewarding part of what we call family literacy. The children's cards are much easier to come by. They fill out the form, I turn them in as a group, and I pick up the cards - no verification necessary. But the adult cards require a bit of footwork, including photo ID and address verification, and I would like to think that this process is empowering for them.

This was the best part of my day today, and that is really saying something, because our Baby Rhyme Time with Jim at the Main Library was really something. Take a look at these pictures to see how captivated the babies were listening to a male voice reading them a story, rolling over to the tune of "There were ten in the bed", and gathering to explore the new toys that were brought out at the end. The money spent on our public library system in this city is very well invested in my opinion. The story and rhyme times have only gotten better over the years!

No comments: